Originally Posted by Isotope42
Originally Posted by Sloansailing
Better solution is to splice a "Y" out of two pieces of 4mm spectra, and bury two ends of the "Y" into the middle of the sheet going either direction. Lock stitch each side (non cored lines) and voila, you end up with a short 4mm pigtail coming directly out of the middle of the sheet, no hard spots or visible splices.

Hmmm, that does sound better. It would put all the strain longitudinally on the line and not tend to split the braid. Properly made, it would be very tidy. Although I dislike lock stiching, I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks, I'm always happy to learn and to improve my ropework.

Regards,
Eric

Very tidy and clean. With any cored line the pigtail can be spliced into the core and not require a lock stitch. A hollow braid I would lock stitch but probably it would still be unnecessary, just insurance for when it is not loaded. The other solutions depicted here will reduce the strength of the line by at least the amount of a knot, not that it matters on the little boats as you'll never even get close to the break strength of the line. But, its cleaner and definitely stronger.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40637555@N02/5967202847/in/photostream

Anacortes Rigging.com
Rigging and Yacht Services