I unintentionally caused an off-topic diversion in a thread about the Hobie Fox, which led to a very useful exchange with Mark Schneider about why the Nacra 20 is popular in the Chesapeake Bay, apparently due to its tall mast and big sail area, which is good for the lighter winds on the Bay.

So as not to disrupt the above thread any further, I thought I should start a separate thread about the various options for sailing beach cats in the Chesapeake Bay area.

Here are some excerpts to get the discussion started...

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
The 20's remain popular for distance racers... and regions with light winds... (Chesapeake Bay for example) (nothing like a tall mast in light breeze). The F18's have NO foothold on the bay as a racing class.

Originally Posted by Africat
Very insightful comments, Mark! That explains much of what I've been seeing in the area.

I am currently trying to get back into cat sailing on the Chesapeake Bay. And while I think of myself as a Hobie guy, in terms of competitive small cat sailing, the best option seems to be Nacra 20s and A-Cats with the WRCRA.

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
What exactly are you looking to do? I think all of the Hobie Foxes went back to the EU used market. West River is your best option if you want a higher tech boat. The classic hobie 16, 17 and 18 are still going strong in the mid Atlantic in Hobie Div 11.

The best place might be to look at what regattas are available. You can bring anything to an open class event and that might be enough sailing for you.
go here for a pdf.

http://www.sailregattas.com/crac/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=209

Va Beach has a racing program as well... www.sailcrac.com and look on the left for the links. PRSA near the airport has local Hobie 16 sailing and an Isotope or two.

The Hobie events are north of Baltimore and at Rock Hall on the eastern shore and in Rehboth DE.

I can fill in any details on events. Stop by West River the last weekend of April... they have free beer according to MikeF....Also an A class, N20, 505 and Contender regatta. A week later trek up to Gunpowder, camp and try their free beer... It's a Hobie regatta with an Open class as well.... The F16's are supposed to be out in force at gunpowder.

If you want a Hobie spin boat, the Tiger should be available at a good price and you would be pretty evenly matched with the F16's in the local open class and you could always trek to New England and the Carolinas and Syracuse for F18 events.

Last edited by Africat; 04/29/09 09:29 PM.

Roland E.
Relocating to Dakar, Senegal (West Africa) in August, where I hope to sail Hobies and other beach cats a lot...