Originally Posted by Africat
Thanks for the additional details, Mark. Will definitely have to check out Hobie division 11. I did go out to Rehoboth Bay Sailing Association last summer and went out on one of their Hobie 16s.

What exactly am I looking to do? I'm looking to get back into catamaran sailing, after a 10 year break. (I sailed cats as a teen, and hiking skiffs in college.) So right now, the goal is to get out on the water and do some sailing on any beach cat where crew is needed.

Funny enough, Mike F kindly put me in touch with the PRO so I can volunteer with the RC at the the Spring Regatta. So I'll be out there for a start. Hopefully I can meet a few of you and connect with some cat owners that may be looking for crew in the coming weeks and months.

Haven't investigated Gunpowder yet. But if it involves camping, I may be able to talk the family into it.

The background to all this is that I will be moving to Senegal, in West Africa, this summer. We'll be right on the Atlantic coast, with nice beaches, good wind, and I've already identified a beach cat club there. They have mostly Hobie 16, which will be OK for a start. The likely scenario is that I will sail a good bit, including in regattas, while we are in Senegal. This will hopefully build a decent skill base. Once we get back to Washington, I'll be looking to get my own boat, and boost my skill level with more serious racing. I'll have to see at that point whether classic Hobie or high-tech is a better fit. Right now, I'm open to any proposition that will get me back out on the water.

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
You really need to bring the family camping at gunpowder. It is a great park with lots of stuff for kids to do and the catamarans are the only ones allowed to camp. New bathhouse gives you hot showers and really hits the WAF. I am sure Lynn could use your help on the RC if you are willing. Who knows, somebodies crew could bail as well. Bring your gear.
The 16 or 18 fleet might be just what you are looking for at this moment in time. Pull up the NOR and give Lynn Flanigan a call.

Schedule for Hobie
http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=7350

Roland E.
Relocating to Dakar, Senegal (West Africa) in August, where I hope to sail Hobies and other beach cats a lot...