Harry,

I wasn't trying to flick your Irish with the TheMightyHobie18 comment, but I was doing nothing more and nothing less with the monohuller comparison.

I really have nothing against monohulls... campaigning a M24 on the cheap is about $4k per season, doing it right is about $10k (x any travel regattas), a set of sails is around $6k and if you want to sail in the top half you'll need them at least every other year... it takes 4 crew + helm that are willing to commit to sailing together season after season.

No where was I implying or saying that an ACat is a family daysailor, it's not. It isn't intended to carry the weight, the boom is too low, and the platform is narrow. What I will say is that it is the most fun you can have on a sailboat by yourself (or with your imaginary crew).

I think the real discussion is whether someone new to cat sailing (particulars of interest aside) is better off starting on an older, less expensive boat or just jumping into something a bit more current. For me buying as much of the lastest "technology" as I could afford made and makes sense. My first cat was an I20 and while it could be a bit sporty at times the modern sail plan, carbon mast, forgiving hull shape and well laid out sail controls were all big pluses.

I think the capper for Roland is that WRSC offers a pretty good OD sailing scene for the three boats mentioned above as well as a great place to bring the kids and just hang out (or heaven forbid, sail a monohull -- like one of the club optis or 420s).