Announcements
New Discussions
Sail selection for DIY inflatable sailing catamaran
by almoniyot. 08/16/19 07:37 AM
Sail selection for DIY inflatable sailing catamaran
by almoniyot. 08/16/19 06:11 AM
‘81 SC17 trampoline track fix?
by tyronewarriner. 08/13/19 10:05 PM
New England 100 2019: 30th Anniversary!!!
by Damon Linkous. 08/13/19 04:57 PM
Old school
by northsea junkie. 08/10/19 03:14 PM
Fair Wind and Following Seas Dior Hubel
by cyberspeed. 08/08/19 11:12 PM
Let's see what we have here
by FrankyDub23. 08/08/19 06:49 PM
Shameless Self Promotion Post
by FrankyDub23. 08/08/19 06:41 PM
Looking a for a Hobie Wave! East Coast
by dave mosley. 08/07/19 03:11 PM
Length of Nacra 5.7 tiller crossbar
by JohannesM. 08/02/19 05:07 AM
Things to do and not to do flying a spin
by Timbo. 07/30/19 02:31 PM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Sailing Forum
08/21/19 11:09 PM
18 months ago on our Nacra 5:8, my wife and I were in a 50km race from Goolwa to Milang in South Aus and we got hit by big wind about 20km into the race, even a mono hull trailer sailer was sunk, we knew we were going in five minutes before we did, we got knocked down and righted the boat. I told Liz we will just point into the wind and wait for the storm to pass, all the batten pockets were ripped or shredded and all the battens were broken already then a bigger gust came and blew us over backwards, we grabbed the main sheet above the blocks as we went over the back, then whilst on its side the boat got blown over backwards again. Luckily the traveller was off so we could maintain our hold on the sheet as the traveller went to the other side, all we could do was hold onto the boat as it got blown to shore. We were in the lead by a long way and got blown into a small channel, we could see the trailer sailers passing in the distance but none could see us, nor could the rescue boats, luckily an ex cat sailor had his motor boat in to watch the race and he shadowed us up the channel as we were blown along, then towed us back to a ramp. This took quite a while and the race organisers were frantic as they couldn’t find us and thought we were lost in the 20km wide lake that was the next leg of the race. We were extremely tired and thankful to have the help we received
2 97 Read More
General Sailing Forum
08/16/19 12:37 PM
Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

The Catapult is a fantastic design. Too bad they are not making them anymore. Thankfully it inspired the Russians, who will be making my pontoons.

I think the Catapult is a bout half a meter longer, and certainly a bit heavier than my boat will be. I will be sailing exclusively in the Mediterranean off the coast of Israel, not in inland waters, so I am concerned the 10sqm sail may be a bit too much for me.

The other manufacturers of inflatable cats today are using a 7.5-8.0 sqm mainsail, along with a 3.5 sqm jib (which I plan on adding later).

Very useful site thanks.
2 176 Read More
Inflatable Sailboats Forum
08/16/19 11:11 AM
I am in the process of building my own inflatable sailing catamaran. It will have 4.5 meter long pontoons (50cm diameter), and the beam will be about 2.3 meters. The mast will be about 5.8 meters high, and will have a profile for sail rope.

I need to order a mainsail. I think something 7.5-8.0 square meters. I really like the cut of the sails of the Happy Cat and the Minicat 420/460. Does anyone have any idea on the luff/leech/foot of these sails? I know they have at least 4 horizontal battens. Looks like Happy Cat has some kind of boom sewn into the sleeve of the sail. Interesting approach, as I am also going for simplicity and ease of assembly.

Thanks
0 38 Read More
General Sailing Forum
08/14/19 03:05 AM
Hello all,

The trampoline on my ‘81 SC17 started to come away (out) from the track a couple weeks back, and no matter how many times I slide it back in or try to thicken the luff with tape it comes out. Any Suggestions??

Pics to follow.
0 79 Read More
General Sailing Forum
08/13/19 09:57 PM
Here is the official statement from the organizers.

Attached it in PDF format as well.
5 1,352 Read More
General Sailing Forum
08/10/19 08:14 PM
Hey Timbo,

Next time you are in Holland and want to spend some hours, you can drive 40 km up north and visit my site.
See my special Prindle and the beach where I sail.

You are always welcome and can contact me via my emailadress.
3 477 Read More
General Sailing Forum
08/09/19 04:12 AM
We lost another great sailor and friend. On top of all her Coast Guard accomplishments listed below, Dior was one of the few women to complete the Worrell 1000. She and her husband Scott Hubel, not only finished the Worrell 1000 together, they also started and ran their own endurance race together and have always promoted the sport of sailing.

Dior and Scott started and ran the Hiram's Haul which is always hosted on Halloween weekend has always be one of my favorite races. Although I haven't done the race in the last few years, I plan on doing it this year to celebrate Dior's life.

Fair weather, following seas and prayers to Dior, Scott and Family.

Dior Lowen signed up in the delayed enlistment program in November 1973 and was sworn into the Coast Guard by her father Master Chief Petty Officer Darryl Lowen in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in February 1974. After the ban on women in aviation had been lifted, she was now free to pursue her dream of working in an aviation career. Lowen was accepted into Aviation Survivalman (ASM) class “A” school and graduated in April 1976, becoming the first female ASM in the Coast Guard.

Dior received her ‘wings’ on Oct. 2, 1977 when she qualified as a flight mechanic on the HH-3 helicopter. In 1977, Dior married AT3 Kerry Hendricks, and left the Coast Guard in 1978 to give birth to their daughter Morgan.

In 1983, the family moved to Titusville, Florida to pursue a job opportunity for both parents at Kennedy Space Center (KSC). In 1984, Dior was hired by Martin Marietta at KSC and became a Senior Solid Rocket Booster Deceleration Technician, where she refurbished and packed the Booster Parachutes for the Space Shuttle Program. After working 18 months with the newly named United Space Boosters, Inc. (USBI), the Space Shuttle Columbia accident caused layoffs across KSC, and Dior was among them. In 1987, Dior was called back to work at USBI and continued her work at the parachute facility.

In 2010, Dior retired from USA and KSC with close to 28 years of service in the space industry. Dior and her second husband, Scott Hubel, now reside in Palm Bay, Florida.
0 136 Read More
Politics, Religion, and Trolling
08/08/19 11:49 PM
Goddamn! This thread is fire!
13 2,514 Read More
Politics, Religion, and Trolling
08/08/19 11:41 PM
Let me try this too. LOL!

For custom hearing protection you can always trust Big Ear!

Big Ear specializes in on-site custom hearing protection services. Aside from our Providers, our success depends on our Perfect Fit Technology™ that allows us to secure a perfect impression of our customer’s ears every time.

Check us out on YouTube too.
1 488 Read More
General Sailing Forum
08/07/19 08:11 PM
Our sailing club's youth program is interested in purchasing one or more Waves, anyone got a line?

TIA
0 104 Read More
General Sailing Forum
08/02/19 10:07 AM
Thanks for the hint, Hullflyer1.
Unless someone can tell me the rough lenth, I will try that.
2 230 Read More
General Sailing Forum
07/30/19 07:31 PM
Mast all the way out, down haul off.

But do NOT let the main sheet go slack, keep it pretty snug, it is the backstay and it is the only thing working against the pull of the spinnaker halyard to keep the mast from snapping under the spin loads.

The apparent wind should be about 90 degrees off the bow so the main can stay sheeted in and fairly flat, ease the traveler down a foot or two, more if it’s really blowing and way out just before you jibe, but do not let the main sheet get slack when the spin is up and pulling.
3 453 Read More
Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 24 guests, and 399 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dmcd38, Bagol, almoniyot, FractionalSloop, Espen
7950 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Timbo 3
JeffS 2
brucat 2
Dermot 1
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,363