Announcements
New Discussions
Leaky hull
by '81 Hobie 16 Lac Leman / 08/04/23 02:11 PM

Problem:

I am getting 5+ liters in my 2018 NACRA 500 left hull (right hull is minimal). Leak test with bubbles suggests there is the crack in the fore access panel (largest, rarely submerged), a leak in one of the access ports (smaller, rarely submerged), and some leakage around the rudder gudgeon bolts (smallish but submerged). On big day with 25+knots gusts and 1-2 foot waves had around 25+ liters so figure I need to pay attention and try to fix them.

1) The bubble test showed that the forward access panel cracked along the joint and is leaking. I have used gelcoat filler to seal it but I doubt it will hold as it is likely too brittle. Can anyone tell me what compound I can use to seal the fore access panels? Something tenacious but with more flex and strength than gelcoat filler?

2) My access ports are leaking around the edges—has anyone ever used marine putty inside to seal them or do I need to completely re-seat and perhaps use bolts+gasket+silicon (instead of screws)? I have replaced the O rings. Please suggest a putty like or other product if you know one. Or any other fixes that I should consider.

3) Gudgeon/rudderbolts. I know that I just have to tighten and perhaps replace again. Need to think about what to do to make a better seal. Not easy place to work on. Figure I will tighten before each sail but that is a pain.

I know a liter or so is no big deal--but would be good to avoid having a gallon or more as it starts to affect performance..

Thank you for any advice--really appreciate it,

Cheers from Switzerland!
2 0 492 Read More
Worrell 1000 2024 Dates & Checkpoints confirmed!!!!!
by WorrellGal50 / 07/10/23 09:39 PM

Thank you Scuttlebutt Sailing News for taking our latest press release and running with it! We hope to see everyone on one of the beaches we will be landing on for next year's 50th Anniversary Worrell 1000

Scuttlebutt Sailing News Worrell 1000 2024
0 1,496 Read More
Worrell 1000 2024 50th Anniversary Race is on - Field of 15 full
by WorrellGal50 / 04/30/23 04:14 PM

As of 4/19 registration for the 2024 Worrell opened. Within 48 hours, the field of 15 was filled, and there are 4 teams on the alternate list. Exact dates are still being solidified, but it will run in May 2024. The OA and RC have boots on the ground scoping out checkpoint beaches and a few are set. It is a MASSIVE undertaking getting this event planned - thanks to everyone who came out and supported us not only in 2022, but 2019 as well. The race will be run on F18's again this year - a decision mostly embraced, some with reservations. Regardless - we have WORK to do.....

With that said - please post here or email us at OA@worrell1000race.org if you live near or at one of our checkpoint locations and are willing to lend a hand (would love someone with a power boat to take some folks from our media team for on-the-water footage and pics...at least at the start - maybe some finishes?); I personally would love an assistant to help me with the live feeds - best boy/grip, anyone? And of course - we are ALWAYS looking for sponsors! Event sponsors, Social event sponsors, donation of goodie-bag items. I can be reached directly at angles.sailingpodcast@gmail.com

2024 checkpoint info (may be off by a few miles, but nothing major - still nailing down):

Day 1: Hollywood, FL to Jensen Beach, FL
Day 2: Jensen Beach, FL to Cocoa Beach, FL
Day 3: Cocoa Beach, FL to Daytona Beach, FL
Day 4: Daytona Beach, FL to Jacksonville Beach, FL
Day 5: Jacksonville Beach, FL to Tybee Island, GA
Day 6: Tybee Island, GA (lay day)
Day 7: Tybee Island, GA to Folly Beach, SC
Day 8: Folly Beach, SC to Surfside Beach, SC
Day 9: Surfside Beach, SC to Wrightsville Beach, NC
Day 10: Wrightsville Beach, NC to Atlantic Beach, NC
Day 11: Atlantic Beach, NC to Hatteras, NC
Day 12: Hatteras, NC to Kill Devil Hills, NC
Day 13: Kill Devil Hills, NC to Virginia Beach, VA
Day 14: Awards Banquet, Virginia Beach, VA

And check out our 2024 sizzle reel: wk1 sizzle reel 2024

If you are on social media, please like and follow us:

FB: https://www.facebook.com/Worrell1000/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Worrell1000

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/w1krr/
0 1,777 Read More
Bimare X-16 specs
by zorro / 04/10/23 07:07 PM

Hi,

does anyone know the technical specifications of the Bimare X-16 catamaran (the non-F16 version from 2009), please? I would be especially interested in the boat weight.
I would like to buy a used boat, but the seller does not have the specs anymore and the Bimare website is unreachable.

Thank you for your answers in advance!
2 1,465 Read More
how to lift Isotope cat off trailer advice needed
by RobertHandyman / 02/02/23 10:28 PM

I have an Isotope 16 that needs bottom repairs on the hulls. Does anyone know where it is
safe to lift underneath with jacks? I am told that the hulls on Isotopes are fragile.
Thank you
from Raleigh NC
4 3,717 Read More
NACRA 500 Spi Halyard Fouls on Jib Furler
by '81 Hobie 16 Lac Leman / 11/11/22 06:11 PM

Greetings,

OK--when the spinnaker is snuffed in bag the halyard running up the mast has the tendency to get fouled in the jib roller furler. Easy to fix by unfurling the jib but nevertheless it is annoying.

We are thinking of a ring or other restraint on spreaders to hold the halyard out of the furler. Thought of ring higher but concerned if it fouls then will not be able to fix on the water.

Any advice beyond keeping the halyard taught? Rings, other restraints? Pictures or diagram would be great.

Small but annoying problem that I am sure other people have solved!

Thank you
0 1,457 Read More
TOPAZ CAT 14
by northsea junkie / 08/26/22 03:51 PM

Is the topaz Cat 14 the new device for old cat sailors. I wonder if it will help me to restart my sailing from 76 year.
1 3,182 Read More
Hull pressurizing
by DaleYoung / 06/13/22 01:39 PM

Just completed refurbish of a Supercat 17. After sailing I noticed a lot of air pressure built up inside of the hulls. I would imagine that could do some damage if left. Is there a recommended spot to drill a vent hole? or is there a vent available?
Thanks in advance!
2 2,866 Read More
Daggerboard cutout base seal on hull
by nobrush / 05/30/22 08:33 PM

Hi,
I need to reseal the base of the daggerboard sleeve (proper name?) where it meets the base of the hull. I'm pretty sure it's leaking water into the boat here. It definitely had some hard material in there I had to chip out which is I'm guessing fiberglass putty, or should I replace it with something that flexes a bit? I'm wondering if heavy duty silicone would hold up or if the beating it possibly takes in there would make anything but putty work, or is there something else I should use?
1 0 3,164 Read More
Reminded me of a spinnaker run on a Beach Cat (back in the day)
by Thomm225 / 11/10/21 01:03 AM

Recently got caught in winds upwards of the mid 30 knot range with tide against the wind. (Chesapeake Bay, lower Bay)

I only have one set of reef points in my main so I was pretty much stuck single handing my good old boat with the wrong sail up and tired due to lack of sleep. I had to take over steering for the autopilot due too to much main up.

Video is after 15 miles and I had reopened the hatch after closing it earlier after a few waves broke over the side and into the cockpit.

Boat is still over powered though even after things have laid down a bit and is pushing a lot of water.

Wind is still sing in the rigging though so it hasn't laid down all that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nXfjcCuiPk

0 4,379 Read More
Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 196 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022