Announcements
New Discussions
Sharks
by rturbett. 06/23/20 08:13 PM
A Question of Size
by BillHenslee. 06/15/20 06:20 PM
Shipping Masts?
by Tornado / 05/11/20 04:48 PM

Anyone have a good solution for shipping masts/beams etc (for H16,18, Tornado; see AD over on thebeachcats.com: https://www.thebeachcats.com/classi...r-hobie-18-2c-16-2c26amp-3b-tornado.html) across North America?

My Dad's got a load of new old stock masts/beams sitting in his barn I'd like to see go to a decent home rather than ulitmately melted down to become recycled.

Mike.
1 874 Read More
Tornado Forum
by Tornado / 05/11/20 04:44 PM

Hi there. This is just an FYI that the old TornadoCat forum on Yahoo Groups has been migrated to a new venue on Groups.io (https://groups.io/g/TornadoCat).
Please check it out and register if you are keen on Tornado's.

Cheers.
Mike.
0 440 Read More
Worrell 1000 Ground Crew Finder
by John Williams / 02/19/20 12:50 AM

hi folks -

i've received a few inquiries, seen some requests and gotten some facebook messages and calls about ground crew for the 2021. i'd like to try and consolidate that information here in order to connect people as efficiently as possible.

post in this thread if you are looking for an opportunity to be ground crew, or if you're a team that needs a manager, pusher, sailor or psychiatrist. there will be a link to this thread on the Worrell website and on the Worrell Facebook page.

as of today, there are only five team slots left. i know of four more teams that are planning to sign up.

[Linked Image]
1 1,906 Read More
Bringing back the cat
by dave mosley / 02/03/20 02:12 PM

Remember the days of 150-200 boat Catamaran events? The Hobie lifestyle? Spring Fever Regattas?
These were huge events, and in many ways those days have passed us by, but.....
We have a chance to make a comeback. We have a chance to get new sailors on the water. We have a chance to get old sailors back on their boats, and we have the chance of seeing our friends and competitors from now and days gone by back on the water and back on their boats again.
The opportunity to revel in the sport and the boats we love is fast approaching. The opportunity to camp, reminisce, and build our sport again is as easy as a $25-30 registration fee and a little packing.

First let me tell you about Tommy Whiteside. Tommy sailed Hobies for many years and was instrumental in reviving the abandoned Hobie Fleet 141 here in South Carolina.
Along with several other key players they formed the SEACATS to help bring all cat sailors into the sport. We met monthly and planned our events, mostly camping and pleasure sailing as a group, but we also loved to race.
This was a weird time where Hobie was pretty strict about “Hobie only” events, but we had many different boats actively sailing so we planned all inclusive events.
The local fleet was strong, around 25 members actively attending monthly meetings and as many sailing events as we could plan.
When Tommy died in 1998 we carried on his passion for catsailing and created the Tommy Whitesides Memorial Classic.
This will be the 22nd annual event if my math is correct! This event is always a fundraiser for a worthy cause, whether its raising money for a fellow cat sailor who had open heart surgery(who btw still owns Tommys Hobie 20), or raising money for youth sailing programs and the building of a children’s hospital. This event had raised over $20,000 over the years!

Now, what can you do to support catsailing?
Get your old boat out of the shed. Call your old buddy and get his boat out too! If they need a little work we will be there to help on Thursday and Friday!
Get your new fast boat out from underneath the snow and come south!
In April the average air temp is 72 degrees and lows in the 50’s.
Camping is plentiful but hookups are sparse and available on first come basis.
If you’re doing a midwinters further south and want to drop your boat off before the event safe spaces are available
Columbia Sailing Club welcomes all but we are a private club and have a locked gate and caretaker on site. We also do not allow pets, so please plan accordingly.
Food will be provided from lunch on Friday through lunch on Sunday. Saturday nights dinner is included but all other meals except breakfast will be cash only.
Each participant will receive one beer bracelet (21 yo) and other bracelets will be sold for $10 each and will be food for the weekend or until the kegs run dry.
CSC is located within minutes of I26, and many hotels are within 5 minutes as well as many restaurants and bars.
If you’re site seeing Charleston is a quick 2 hour drive.
Lake Murray has over 600 miles of shoreline and has always provided cats a great place to sail and stretch their legs.

Don’t forget, music Friday night with the Matt Hallman band and spaghetti and meatballs from our resident Italian and fellow catsailor Rich Boyle Saturday evening.

Also rigging help, a “green Fleet”, and a race/sailing instructional by our sailing director Dave Van Cleef on Friday.
There is truly something for everyone so pack it up and come play!

Tommy Whitesides Memorial Regatta 2020
Multihull Regatta April 3-5, 2020

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v...59nEUEVU7M3DcT3KjL2K93s6lrhTlKGLM&e=

2020 The year of The Cat

David Mosley
windzblowin@hotmail.com
1 1,962 Read More
Tommy Whiteside Memorial 2020
by dave mosley / 01/13/20 03:09 PM

April 3-5th 2020 Columbia Sailing Club Lake Murray South Carolina

https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/20167

This years event will be a little different, we will open the gates on Thursday afternoon for anyone wanting to come early and work on boats, practice, hang out, whatever, we want to make it a long weekend of sailing and comradery.

On Friday we will be having a "green fleet clinic" for people who are new to racing, new to cats, or just need help rigging your boat. We also will have "experts" to help you with minor repairs, rigging tips, and simple maintenance issues. We want to offerthis for all of those sailors who have boats that need a little help, and/or need someone to help them get it back together.

After assembly and fixes, we will have a classroom session on racing and sailing by Columbia Sailing Clubs sailing director David Van Cleef. David has taught sailing at the worlds level and manages some very large racing syndicates and has a world of knowledgewhich he is happy to share with us all.

Jon Britt from Norbanks Sailing Center will be bringing two Weta Trimarans for demo rides, and the Weta fleet will be represented as well, so if you are interested in seeing these boats and/or racing one this will be great opportunity!

We want boats on the water, whether you're an avid racer or a first timer, we will have something for everyone. Racing on Saturday and Sunday will have several fleets, and a "green fleet" for those not quite ready to mix it up with the high tech boats on the circuit.

Camping at CSC is first come first serve and we now have power at 5 sites. Our beachhouse has endless hot water and 6 showers. The campground and beachhouse is right beside the beach which can accommodate about 25 cats.

Friday evening we will either have a low key meal or a food truck, this depends on number of participants. Saturday evenings dinner will be prepared by our resident Italian and fellow cat sailor(Rich Boyle)and will feature his famous meatballs and pasta. Kegswill be tapped on Friday at 6pm and a cash bar will be open all weekend.

We will also have live music on the front porch by the Matt Hallman band, if you didn't catch them last year, you are in for a treat! We call them the "boy band", but really they are all about 15 years old and play the classics from Rush, black Sabbath, TheEagles, and many other songs you will know, and they play them pretty much note for note(savants!)

Registration is on Regatta Network or cash at the event, but we strongly encourage pre-registration!

Invite your buddies who have been out of the loop for awhile, invite any new sailors you know, invite your fiercest rival, this is the reunion tour of catsailors!

2020 The year of The Cat

David Mosley

windzblowin@hotmail.com

www.columbiasailingclub.org
2 1,618 Read More
Building a C-Class Racing Catamaran
by Raidillon / 01/07/20 09:43 PM

Hello everyone, I was browsing YouTube recently when I saw a video of the C-Class Little Cup. These boats blew my mind, and I immediately began thinking "I WANT ONE!" I was thinking about building one of these beasts, first building a female half-mold and casting four hull halves, then putting them together and building a wing. Is this plausible?
1 1,972 Read More
Question about tiller extension uv joint
by almoniyot / 11/27/19 10:07 PM

I am in the process of building my own rudder/tiller and picked up one of these Allen tiller extension universal joints. Allen tiller extension uv joint

The thing is, it seems much too rigid to me. It is quite difficult to bend. How am I going to stop my tiller extension from pointing upward towards the sky?
4 2,828 Read More
Supercat 17s closest competitor?
by DaleYoung / 11/18/19 01:00 AM

I can't wait to get my Supercat 17s ready for this upcoming season. Never sailed a cat before. Currently restoring 2. What cat would you say would be most similar to the Supercat 17 speed-wise? How does it compare to a Hobie 16 or 18?
Thanks!
1 1,766 Read More
2020, The Year of The Cat
by dave mosley / 11/13/19 04:11 PM

I want to challenge you guys to make this coming year one that brings back the old cat sailors, brings in the new ones, and gets monoslug sailors on a cat. This is a challenge to CRAM, CABB, NEMSA, CRAW, and all the other fleets represented here from the SEACATS to try something different, market the heck out of your cat regattas, involve the other fleets in your sailing clubs or areas to reciprocate help with their regattas.
I'm finishing my term as Commodore of a primarily dinghy and monohull club and I have seen the benefits of aggressive marketing and outside of the box ideas to get sailing going again. 2 weekends ago we held a regatta that 4 years ago had 49 registered boats, this year 152, this stuff works, and as I attempted to turn my club into a catamaran club(not really), I saw ideas that worked and resources used to bolster participation. This year as I have more time to devote to the cat scene I'm going to try to get our cat fleet revitalized using similar ideas, but Im looking for input on how to capture newbies and old sailors who have left the sport.

I'm open for suggestions from fleets who are thriving, and looking forward to get something going early spring. So far my idea is to have "Cat Revival Regatta" late March, early April here in Columbia SC. This would be a 4 day event with a seminar, a "green fleet", and lots of camping, good food, and comraderie.

Please share any ideas, and challenge your fleets to get cats back on the scene at your clubs and in your areas!

5 3,087 Read More
NASCA 5.5 covers, where to buy?
by Jsoderbe / 10/05/19 08:16 AM

Hi, this is my first post so I an not sure this is the right sub-forum; I have an older Nasca 5.5 F17 cat. It is a great little boat, super fast and fun to sail!

I really need a nice snug cover for the winter storage. Could anyone point me to where I can buy these?

Regards,

Johan
1 1,772 Read More
Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 30 guests, and 111 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
WreckedEmRalph, wavelover, CenterAttend, konstantinsail, RayMart
8038 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,379
Posts266,989
Members8,038
Most Online1,650
Sep 10th, 2019