So, in other threads it was asked "How to grow our sport?". After reading this thread its no wonder anyone would want to start to race. As somone who is average in their racing skills I am/would be hesitant to get on the race course. And it has happened, you are trying to sail to the best of your ability and happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Next thing you know you are getting sued because you're a "C" class racer in a mixed fleet of "A" sailors. Not my idea of fun. Your first knee jerk reaction would be "learn the rules or stay off the course!!!". For people with nothing else to do that is great, for casual sailors we'll end up not on the course.

Not at all. In my own little pond I can be at the front most weekends. On a national stage or a world level, I'm middle of the fleet at best. Being outclassed by these guys doesn't mean I cant race on the same track - more that when stuff is happening, I understand my own abilities and *stay out of the way*. More often than not I come out ahead of where I would have been anyway.

Having organized a few regattas though the insurance issue is interesting. I personally believe that all boats should be insured especially since the cost (here at least) is very small. On all of my NOR's I make it a condition in the "elegiblity of entry" section that all boats carry a certain level of liability insurance. Then on the entry form, right above where they sign, the words "by entering this regatta I certify that the boat on this entry carries (insert insurance cover here)........"

Here in Australia insurance has been required at nearly all major (and minor) regattas for many years.

Tiger Mike