I had made the switch from TheMightyHobie18 to the H20, big difference. I really liked the 20 but my crew (son) was too little at the time and only kept it for a couple of years. I sailed the 18 for 15 years and it is bullet proof. I hear of guys not letting the boat touch the beach. The very best time I had was sailing in P'cola and drove the 18 from the bay onto the short beach and beyond and just stepped off into the grass (boards up of course!). There is not many boats that you can do that with and return to sail again!

I did sail the 20 by myself but there is a lot more to it than the 18, it can get interesting in a blow if you're by yourself. For cruising there is almost too many lines in the way. Someone is always sitting on a line you need, the 18 only has 2 (basically that is!) The Tiger is basically the same but the self tacking jib is something I wish I had on the H20 as it would have made it easier for casual racing with minimal crew (read small son!).

I think your specifications encompass more than one era of boats. The new sleek and fast boats are not as bullet proof as the older ones, but they are SLEEK AND FAST! Not to mention lighter. Did I mention I toted the 18 around w/o any beach wheels for that time? Yeah, I have a set hanging in my storage for when I get another! Won't do that again!

Good luck,

Clayton