Personally I wouldn't support voiding the Mozzie grandfather status ever. Loyalty must go both ways. I'm very impressed by the Mozzie sailors and their "Can-do" attitude. Basically they are sailing a sub optimal (with respect to F16 class rules) and making an impact. I think that should be high appreciated.

Indeed the Mozzies are underweight, but I think the South African ones are only by 10 kg or so. This is strong offset by the smaller sailarea total and other specs that are suboptimal.

Personally I think it is great to see the Cobra's enter the fun as well. I never envisioned a Hobie OD mentality for the F16 class. I don't believe "one size fits all". And such I welcome the continued participation of these boats in the F16 racing.

With respect to the claim that :"They are being included because if they weren't, there wouldn't be an F16 class in Australia (or South Africa either)" I want to underscore the fact that the sailors of these classes themselves approached us in order to become part of the F16 class. I saw no good reason to deny that request. And I still don't !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands