I just need to simulate the one armed spinnaker work.

Start a basic whole body workout program. Working just one area, especially if you are out of shape, is a good way to hurt yourself. You can get one set of muscles strong enough to hurt anouther set. If you use a trainer, tell them, you need a sports program. Don't totally trust any trainer. Most have only very basic training and some can't find their butt with both hands.

After you have been in a basic program, 3 days a week, for 3 months, then you can work harder on any area that hurts after sailing.

Once you get a program that seems to work, go see a Sports Medicine DOCTOR, to see if anything you are doing, may cause long term problems.

This is not a science. Be prepared for strange pains and odd results. Last year, I discovered, that if I had to pull my mainsheet hard at a strange angle, I could pull my shoulder out of joint.

-------------------------------------------------------
Gym training will only take you so far. Nothing prepares you for dragging a catamaran up a algee and duck poo covered ramp while wearing a wetsuit, like actually doing it. However, it's the gym training that gives you the strength to stand up and try again, when you fall and bust your butt on the first try.

My wife tells me women will never perform an endless series of painfull, silly looking exercises (think overweight middle aged man hopping on one foot). Only men will do that and only if there is some little blonde yelling, "JUST 2 MORE, JUST 2 MORE"