In high wind and waves, I find there's no point in even trying to bring the boat up unless you have it in close reach/haul position, it'll just blow over the other way no matter what you do; and loosing energy righting a hobie can get dangerous (especially if a nasty lee shore with rocks is getting closer and closer).

I always turn the boat with the mast pointed into the wind when righting, even with heavy waves and wind. The trick to not having the boat blow over again once you right it this way, is to have your crew put all their weight on the righting line, and as you both pull, the masthead will slowly come out of the water. Once you see the masthead out of the water, you can be sure that the boat will be coming over very soon. At this time, I stop pulling on the righting line, and allow my crew to keep their weight on, and as the boat comes over I grab the dolphin striker bar at the front crossbar post and hold the boat.

I've found that if, (in heavy winds) you and your crew both put all your weight on the righting line and let the boat come back over ontop of you both, the wind will just push her back over onto the other side, regardless of whether your sheets are cleated or uncleated. By holding the dolphin striker, the boat comes over, and i can use my weight on the opposite side to hold the boat down and prevent it from flipping over on the other side, also it is easier to get back on the boat because you can climb on as the boat is in the righting motion.

~vinny~