I replaced my shrouds on my 1971 Hobie 16, and now I find it really difficult to set up my boat. I still have the shorter forestay, and I added a second chainplate to the bridle, which makes it possible to pin it together. The difficulty comes from the fact that the mast is raked back so far that it wants to fall when stepped.

Before I got my new shrouds, I found that if I parked my trailer facing downhill a little, the mast would lean far enough forward that most of the forces would be borne by the shrouds. I would tie the jib halyard to a rope, routing it through the bridle and then through my jib cam-cleat. When pulled snug, this would act as "insurance" that the mast wouldn't fall back, and I could climb down and pin the forestay. Now, however, the forces on that halyard/rope are so high that it makes me worried. Among other things, it puts a great deal of force on the jib traveler track, and I've already re-riveted that once!

I usually sail alone. Do those of you who sail alone have the same problem with the shorter shrouds and lots of mast rake? Do you worry about the mast toppling off?

Rick