Sounds like there are a few things going on here. These comments are meant in a general sense, not trying to guess what was going on at the event in question. There are good guidelines but no perfect answers for all situations.
Mike Levesque

I was also there, Mike. Yes, there certainly appeared to be more going on than a wind issue.

The wind was slow to build that day, so the start was postponed. Most of the boats went on out anyway to work off some nervous energy.

When the RC boat showed up and chase boats began setting marks, that was a sure sign things were about to get underway. Several minutes later, the PRO blew the horn a number of times to get everyone's attention. Shortly after that, the countdown for race #1 began.

The boats caught off the line were very experienced racers. They had sailed off AFTER the committee boat had appeared and marks were being set. They were not paying attention.

In addition, at least one of the errant crews had connections on the RC boat. It walked like a duck, it quacked like a duck....

PRO is a tough job. If he'd started this race without waiting, there'd almost certainly have been some whining from those late to the line. It was his call and he did what he thought was right. Doesn't mean I have to like it. And, yes, I will be happy to put up or shut up. I'll be glad to PRO next year.

Stephanie