All,

Here is my report on the FX-1 from Hobie Cat. The impressions below come from my sailing the current production 17'-18' uni rig cats with daggerboards over the last 5 years. I tried very much to keep it straight to the point. This report is only my opinion and my views may not be shared by all readers. After just coming off an A class, I feel very comfortable with this report and the performance of the FX-1.

Bob Curry

Tacking:

The boat tacks and reacts very much like an A cat, just turn the tiller over and quickly get to the other side! I tried both leaving the sheet tension on and slightly easing it during the tacks. The boat responded better to a slight ease. In the 8-10kts of breeze, I found a slight roll tack best. This boat easily out-tacks the current uni rig production boats in the 17-18’ class.

Gybing:

Again, just like the A cat! A nice gentle arc produced the fastest speed out of the gybe.

Upwind:

The FX-One responded best to the traveler down about 2-4”with the outhaul slightly eased and the downhaul down just a bit (wrinkles out). My weight (168lbs) was right at the daggerboard and I was able to fly the trapeze easily. Every control line was sensibly located and easy to adjust. The boat reacts very well to puffs and accelerates better than the other current production lines. The mainsail could be a tad bit fuller up top for most US conditions.

Downwind:

Even though a bit heavier than the A class, this boat shares the same wide-groove characteristics of the wave piercing A cats. It accelerated smoothly and I was able to keep it in the groove for a long stretch without much attention. I was able to wildthing in puffs 10kts and greater.

How it looks…

This is the sexiest production boat I’ve ever seen! The wave piercing angled bows really shed the water and handle waves like a hot knife through butter. There is plenty of hull volume so it is not weight sensitive.

Overall Impression

This one is easy; it is a production version of the popular A class! Combined with a chute, this boat will really be a performer!! I could easily move it around on the beach with CatTrax which is a plus. Even though I spent about an hour and a half sailing, I can't wait to do it again and I'm very stoked this boat came along!!

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!