This post is a copy of a post of the main forum.

Typed up a full posting but that one got lost, so here the summery

My notion is that we need a yacht club with space to park 10 of Wouter's cheap cats.

I've progressed on a simple hull design, A deep V-ed hull; not unlike a scaled Prindle 16. Hull dimensions with eventually come out closely to length x width x height = 3750 x 300 x 450 mm = 12 x 1 x 1.5 feet. Weight of the hull is expected at 17.5 kg

F12's can be stacked on top of one another. When placed in a rack like they do with lasers then 9 F12's assembled platforms will need a "space box" the size of : length x width x height = 6.5 x 4.0 x 1.5 mtr = about 22 x 13 x 4 feet. The F12 mast can be taken apart into elements no longer then 3.5 mtr in under 5 seconds.

A laser-1 rack needs a space-box of about 4.5 x 4.5 x 1.5 mtr = 15 x 15 x 4 feet.

A fully dissambled F12 will fit into its 4.0 x 1.0 x 0.5 mtr = roughly 13 x 3 x 2 feet transport box that will weigh about 30 kg itself. F12 plus its box will be just shy of 100 kg = 220 lbs. Fully assembling an F12 in 10 minutes or less is a design goal and I think that that can indeed be done. Stacking the F12's in their transport boxes will allow 8 combo's to be stored or transported in a "space box" of 4.0 x 2.0 x 2.0 mtr = 13 x 7 x 7 feet. Boats+trailer will still be under 1000 kg weight = 2200 lbs and can be pulled by a modest family car. 2 adults will be able to unload and assemble all 8 F12's so they are ready to sail in under a hour = 15 minutes per boat.

24 F12's in their transport boxes will fit inside a 40 foot container, shipment to anywhere in the world like this will cost about 300 USD per boat.

A 65 kg F16 can be car topped on any given car as typically only 50 kg roof load capacity is garanteed. 65 kg is close enough to be save, also because there is ample proof of 61 kg laser hulls being car topped.

Detailed cost estimate puts a new F12 (no labour costs) at 3641 USD when you buy your sail and dotan rudders. If you make these yourself (not too hard to do) then 2500 USD is possible. I think that I'm able to replace ply by foam/glass for simple homebuilding as well. That is more durable and cheaper in the long run as high quality ply is increasingly difficult to source.

The F12 can take the standard laser-1 rig, it has the same surface area, luff length and mast height. The Centre Of Effort will be close enough to the intended F12 rig as well. However looks are important and the battened F12 rig is much more modern in apparence, trim and performance. See attached picture. Shown is a 5.5 sq. mtr. 4.7 mtr luff sleeved sail on a homemade aluminium mast. The intended F12 rig is just a scaled up version with the same surface area as the laser-1, as such it will be 7.00 sq. mtr by 5 mtr long luff. mast height will be 5.7 mtr. mast weight is just under 10 kg = 22 lbs

[Linked Image]

I'm getting a little off track in answering the "space" question, but I felt that this could be important data with respect to club space and required investment in building the class. That is if the overall discussion concludes that a craft like the F12 has a role to play in the youth programs

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 10/04/07 04:24 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands