My Stiletto 27 standing rigging is just starting to show a hint of rust near some of the fittings and it has been on the boat for some time (I think).

At first blush, it would seem replacing this standing rigging with some of the hi-tech synthetics could reduce cost, increasing working loads and breaking strength ... while also reducing weight aloft.

It seems as though splicing and carrying emergency replacement stays would also be simplified and possibly less costly for the standing rigging and emergency replacements.

For random cost comparison, 3/8 inch Sampson Spectran-12 line costs about $2/ft., has a breaking strength of 14,000 lbs., while Stainless runs about $3.50/ft. Indeed, one would also consider the ease and cost reductions of being able to spice rigging at home, vs. spending money for a rigger and the cost of marine eyes at $25 each.

From what I understand, some of the latest and greatest synthetics are UV prtected and pre-stretched so the fiished length won't "creep".

My intended use of the boat, will be for cruising in areas that don't have rigging and riggers readily available. It would seem having rigging and materials for replacement extras that I can install seems prudent.

Has anyone done this, explored or have experience or comment on this use of synthetics for a 27 foot catamaran standing rigging application, standing a 35 foot mast....???

What are the pros and cons?

Tom H.