I'm discovering there are a number of options, to keep the boat under control and sailing fast, as the wind speed increases.

Certainly too much sail, in faster wind speeds, seems to cause more heeling and less speed.

I'd guess that is because more sail area probably is also producing more drag.. so in very fast wind, less sail (i.e., a reefed main) is probably faster than a main that is being eased to keep the boat on it's feet..

One thing I do is to loosen the main sheet and really harden the jib's halyard. I then, again go back to hardening my main sheet.

I'd guess hardening both, is helping to ensure both sails are as flat as possible, even before one cranks things down to induce mast top bending.

The next thing I'm noticing is in higher wind, I think my sail clothe stretches more than in light air, due to the high with pressures against it. I'd guess this allows the sail's draft to move aft... in the higher wind speeds.

If I ease the jib sheets, just a bit, I can get the jib's head to twist off a bit and open the slot a bit, producing a bit less heel.

I sure you've also discovered the benefits of hardening up your main sail down haul...to help keep the boat sailing fast and reducing heeling.

I also play with the sail slot, opening or closing it, to decrease or increase how much air is going through it... which also affects how much my boat is heeling.

I also notice, when the wind hits gets above certain speeds, I’d rather be watching from the beach, with my sails stowed, the boat secure and the mast down…..

Just some thoughts...

Tom H.