Trucks may be different but, in cars, in the USA, diesel doesn't make sense economically (bottom line). A (~) 15 to 20% boost in mpg is offset by the 15 to 20% higher price of the fuel.

Your math isn't totally accurate, and it's just recently that your argument could even be entertained. Even with your faulty math it looks like it's an economic wash. And what type of cars are we talking about comparing?

Only in the last 6 months has diesel cost more than gas. Why is that, it's less refined? (There's the scam!) And they don't add any oxygenate like MTBE. That crap is toxic and is in the flesh of every fish you eat.

Just 2 years ago I was paying $1.65 per gal for diesel and gas was $2.30 +or-. Now diesel here is $3.69 and gas is $3.58. Just filled up with biodiesel at $3.25 over at Austin Biofuels. And I get 45 to 50 MPG. Do the math for me, I'm too lazy.

kansas city gas prices proof of TODAY, not two years ago.

Math for dummies
$2.77/$3.29= 16%
$3.29/$2.77= 19%
figured both ways (depends on how soulcats cook their numbers)

2005 Passat gas 4cylinder 2005 Passat diesel 4 cylinder Think those are flipped, used the combined MPG
22mpg/27mpg= 19%
27mpg/22mpg= 23%

You busted me, I'm at fault, if we average these two figures and balance the book cooking we come up with 21% and 17.5% Excuse me I'm way off in the weeds with these FACTS.

Go to edmunds online and compare "true cost to own" on a (for instance) 2005 Passat, gas and diesel version. You'll find the diesel will cost $1,406 MORE to own over a five year period. Obviously skewed numbers and fuzzy math.

Why did I even waste my time?

Last edited by flatlander18; 11/27/07 02:20 PM.

John H16, H14