I take off all the stuff that cat trailer have mounted on them for the boats and get it down to a bare frame. Then I get two 4x8x3/4 marine plywood. Heavily paint them to insure against rotting, then screw them onto the frame.
On some trailers the fenders are higher than the frame. In this case you have to use 2x2 on top of the frame, then screw to the 2x2s.
Finally, go to your local carpet store (ours is best on Friday) and go to their dumpster and grab a bunch of used carpet and either glue it or tack it down.

Rick,

My trailer for my new to me H 18 is ready for this setup and I'd love to get it done prior to going to the Texas 200. I'd rather not risk damage to the boat with the hard rubber v blocks designed for keels of powerboats. When you use the 2x2's to you go horizontally (perpendicular to the direction of travel) to raise the square tubing? I'll have to do that for sure as my fenders are higher than the flat area. do you allow the 3/4" ply to sag to match the hull profile of the boats being towed or make it more rigid by adding additional crossmembers.

Thanks again for your help.

Dan