Well then, welcome to Cat-World! Or the "Dark Side" as it is called on some boards...

You've got a great boat, at what sounds to be a great price! The Hobie-16 is a boat that you can take as far as you want to go in the sport - stepping-stone learning boat, to high-level one-design racing.

Jump in with both feet - spend the Winter going through your gear, familiarize yourself with it and fix up what needs it. Even though you've got a solid sailing base, get yourself a copy of Rick's book "Catamaran Sailing for the 90's", and maybe order a bunch of his videos as well, spend the cold months with drink in hand watching, reading, and dreaming of hitting the water as soon as can in the Spring. Hit as many of the forums as possible as well. This is a great place to start. There are also tuning guides available that will help you get the most from the boat from the start.

As for the buyers remorse - once you get sailing you'll realize that used cats like this, at this price, represent about the best bang for the buck you will ever find for performance sailing! It was a good find, and you're going to have a blast!

My first cat was a $500 ratted out Hobie-14 that I refurbed and sailed for many years. That gave way to a ratted out $1500 Hobie-18 that I refurbed and sailed and raced for many years (ultimately added a spin to learn more). You're in for a great ride, enjoy it!