Hi John

I don't understand your position.

Are you saying... promote the multihull and the world will see the injustice and decide otherwise?

Somebodies OX will be gored in the end.. right now... it's our disipline. The multihull community is working through the MNA's that we have some influence with and will hopefully persuade ISAF to reopen the issue.

Then what...?

How do you persuade the delegates to kill off a different disipline. What is the argument? (Cats are already dead... why revive them and kill off another class)

Is the argument some version of ... our Ox is bigger and nicer looking then say... the 470 Ox or the Star Ox or the 49ner Ox.?

OK... we can make that argument effectively I think. But, you suggest that this is not the way to go!

I sounds like you are saying that the PROCESS... eg the voting rules did not lead to a result that matches the intent and values of the majority of MNA's at ISAF.

So, all we need to do is reopen the process... and use a different voting process.

This still leaves the question... Given 10 events.... What is the appeal to the values and intent of the MNA's.

I don't see how you can make the case FOR the Multihull without contrasting it with the other disiplines.

At any rate... in the USA... If the door opens to reoconsider the events ... What should we do? It would seem that we need to focus on a coherent argument for what mix of disiplines represents the state of US Sailing activity.

What has changed over the year is the ISAF women's council which opted for 4 out of 6 events so long as it includes a keel boat. The women clearly don't want a cat or a High performance dinghy. IMO, this effectively kills the US goal of getting a women's 29ner event in. There seems to be no support for this among the women. This should change the US stand.

So, this fact alone should allow the US to support, Laser, Keel Boat, Dinghy, Windsufer for 8 events that are gender equal and match what US sailors want and actually sail.

So... two events left, three types of sailing... Finn's, 49ners and Tornado's. What argument do you make to the US powers' that be?

If you generalize... Heavy single person dinghy (finn + ???) .. skiff (29ner and 49ner) and cats (Tornado to Hobie 16) I would think the participation numbers are overwhelming in our favor.

I would also have a tally of US cat sailors that competed at their respective worlds. Again, I bet we stack up favorably.

I just dont' see how you persuade the US Sailing powers (If the decision gets reopened) without drawing sharp and distinct contrasts which counter the bias demonstrated by Bodie and Brenner.

Mark

crac.sailregattas.com