Hi,

Wouter's advise is spot on as usual. Let me add the comment that if you plan to eventually sail a more technical boat with more adjustments I would look for at the slightly larger boats then the H-16 or P-16/18, boats with adjustable mast rotation, downhaul, and outhaul features on the mainsail. The Nacra 5.5 was a nice ride sloop/uni-rig as were the 5.2s & 5.8s. Depending on your wieght the Prindle-18/2 or the P-19 are excellent rides also. The cheapest, most availible Hobie with these features would be the H-18 (of course), they are still raced so as to improve your skills quickly and are indestructable (all-most). If you wish find a "Magnum" (wings) model for cruising w/ friends, remove the wings for "class" racing. Currently HobieCat is producing an excellent quality set of sails for the boat.

The H-20 is too much of a pure racing machine and is very hard on novice crews. (unless your girlfriend is on the helm) It beats the women up terribly, its the jib traveler on the tramp-bruise city. The Nacra 6.0 is the same and the H-21se is most likely just Too large/heavy for you. The I/N-20s even used are pricey !!!

So I would find a used H-18mag, and start to learn ... building the F-16 over the next few years ... or buy a F-18 boat when you know how to make it GOoooo !!! You may find that you keep the H-18mag as a "beater", they are really good when the kids,nephews/nieces want to start to sail ....

Thats what happened to me ... you regress as you get older and slowwer.

Sail Flat, Sail Fast
HarryMurphey
H-18mag/#9458, Fleet54/Div11
P-19mx/#86, CRAC