I have a SC-17 and really enjoy the boat and its shroud extender righting system.

I agree with Thom, however there are a couple of other things you may wish to consider.

One is that the mast should have a captured ball type mast step to help ensure the mast base doesn't come off the capsized boat when the side stays are loosened.

Another thing that helps, when using a shroud extender for righting the boat, is to have some sort of system to help re-tension the side stay after the boat is righted.

What I’m referring to is my boat has a system that allows the shroud to be lengthened (for righting purposes) some 18 inches. That is accomplished by releasing the shroud lever and then unpinning the bottom eye of the side stay. The shroud length is then increased by the length of a cable lanyard, allowing the upper hull of the capsized boat to hang at an angle towards the keel, rather than at an angle towards the mast.

The problem I’ve encountered with this set up is, though righting the boat is a piece of cake with this set up, when righted, this loosened and extended side stay allows the mast to bang all over the place, when in choppy water. This then leads to really having a very difficult time when trying to reattach the side stay eye, back into the shroud tensioner, while the mast is moving all over the place, pulling the bottom of the side stay with it.

When this occurs in very choppy water and heavy air…this seems to put high and abrupt loads on the stays as they go slack and then bang tight as the loosened side stays allow the mast to swing abruptly from side to side.

This isn't a problem when double handing, because the crew just pulls the trap line tight and that quiets the side stay so I can get the pin in the eye and tensioner.

However, when single handing.... I just don't have enough hands to pull on the trap line and also hold the shroud and get the pin in.

My fix is to temporarily remove my downhaul and insert its top hook into my dog bone and pin the bottom into a shackle I have installed on the bottom of my shroud lever.

Using its 8:1 advantage and cam cleat, it quickly controls my banging mast and allows me to pin the bottom of my side stay where it belongs. After that, re-tensioning the stay is just a matter of thrown the shroud lever and I'm ready to sail again.

Has anyone else had this problem???

Tom H.