those with velociteks certainly have a good grasp of what the velocitek vmg function can do for you above the other gps varients ,they give you a realtime blow by blow account of what is and what isn't good relative to the race course and conditions on the day.

Polars whilst giving target speeds and angles cant take into account differing conditions ie wave patterns , tide , wind , shear and any other variable , polars are at best average performance targets based on historical data . Velocitek VMG is realtime and constantly updated and is the only thing you need to look at and whats more ITS DEAD SIMPLE .

There are ways of setting up vmg on other gps devices , but for a whole host of reasons this info can be totally irrelevant and the setting up impractical on the water .

What you guys need to consider is wether you allow VMG calculating GPS as Velocitek to be used on the race course or do you want to use data logging for later playback.

I have used many GPS units (garmin foretrex 201 - relegated to my bike, Garmin various handhelds and raytheon plotter on the cruiser ) and have found the Velocitek with its VMG function to be the most performance advantageous of the lot , infact I now have the S1 which has dual displays which you can set as you like , compass (in tiktak format or true ) , VMG , true speed .

speed alone is better than nothing as it help keep you on the pace

I think you will all agree that Rohan Veal has made good use of his sailing with Velocitek.

As for mounting , I've made a simple rotating bracket mounted on my spi pole with lines taken to my rotation spanner so it self tacks , prototype worked a treat from first day .

Last edited by Codblow; 03/31/08 05:48 AM.