I'm working on the same issue and for the same reasons as Kirt. As my boat has the same triangle as the standard taipan 4.9 I'm faced with the same problems.

Answers are simple. Selftacker possible ? Yes and Greg Goodall of Goodall Yacht sails will help you in designing one when requested.

Taipan sized jib as selftacking possible ? No, simply doesn't fit. Alternative is to sheet it of the trampoling right behind the mainbeam instead of far back on the trampoline. Is not a selftacker but will move jib sheets and blocks out of the way of crew and spinnaker. I might go that way as a cheaper soloution to the selftacker. I have some ideas on how to make this setup work like a selftacker downwind even though that is really isn't. Extar items needed an extra line and two little blocks.

F16 size jib ? It will be a feat to get the max allowed area in the Taipan triangle but some sailmakers think it can be done or at least come very close to the 3,65 sq. mtr actual area. No definate answers has been found that although it is required to have the bridle strut setup like the stealth and teh Tornado's

I will keep you informed when I have more answers.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands