First the info :

ventilo and Mattia have been working together on a new semi planing hullshape. Both companies have launched a 16 footer design that look to be compliant with Formula 16 rules.

The Ventilo differs from the mattia design in that it has a circular selftacking rail while the mattia features a straight rail and the ventilo comes with T-foil rudders. Ventilo has as an option an (unstayed) carbon mast. Between you and me and in general terms, the ventilo zipo is the true race version of the Mattia dynacat 16. Neither one has a boom standard, but ventilo's mainsail has got a rail on the mainsail clew and the Mattia has a plate with holes. In one of the pictures the ventilo is depicted with a boom so that may be optional.

Basically the platform of both boats is identical with the exception of the rudders and boards. The Ventilo has asymmetric daggerboards. Both plaforms have identical hulls that are designed to be semi planing and feature a trip turbulator groove right behind the daggerboard. The undersides of the boats are extremely flat and the feature chines of about 80 (outside hull) and 110 (inside hull) degrees.

The ventilo was in a very dark and cramped corner of the boatshow so my pictures of that boat pretty mych failed. I will therefor give you the pictures of the Mattia dynacat 16 instead.

I also had a long talk with the guys at the ventilo stand and they explained that the boat was not a Formula 16 HT but rather a Formula 16 HP. Says enough to me.

Now, as always the specs differ from poster to brochure to the same platform of the other builder. So I haven't been able to confirm its specs beyond a doubt but I will be in contact again and ask for the official confirmation than. For now it looks like the designs are compliant.

By the way I really like the colour scheme of the Ventilo sails. Looks really neat.

In short; we maybe looking at 2 new builders with compliant F16 designs : Ventilo and Mattia.

Extra info ; BCM Cirrus Energy (4,88 mtr and grandfathered) was indeed the best looking boat in the 16 foot range. That company really makes nice boats. Well fitted out, only one thing I didn't like and top quality through out.

Hobie launches more tupperware stuff and I didn't spend much more time on that stand. The FX-one remained the same although it now has larger wings, but I expected that to happen when judging the boat from my own experience.

Have to get back to worl now, may tell you all more later. Have fun looking at the pictures.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands