It is commonly used when race committee is scarce. I wouldn't think it would be used when we have a full blown race committee. The rabbit is typically required to hold on port tack for 1 or 2 minutes depending on the fleet. If your not the rabbit then you have from the first gun until the rabbit is released at agreed upon time interval. The rabbit is at a disadvantage most of the time unless the wind goes right as in way right. Also, if you are on starboard and hit the rabbitt you should be dsq perhaps for the rest of races or made to be the rabbit after being dsq for that race. Depending on how large the fleet, an agreement needs to be reached on who becomes the rabbit for the next race. Bigger fleet, then I have seen 5h place boat becomes the rabbit. Smaller fleet then 2rd finisher. Small fleet than 1st.

I wasn't asked but if I were, my opinion would be race on the course provided with in the normal starting line because of the other 30 or so boats on the same course, or race on a different course without power boat chasing rabbit. YMMV!

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org