Hay Steve you cannot go wrong with a Getaway as it's the ultimate family boat, and the kids love the front tramp. It has more than enough speed and you can take a lot of gear with you. I have sailed my H16 against several Getaways and even though they are much slower (in certain situations) they are not a dog by any means. You have to watch out for the Tupperware snobs out there (ha, ha), as some just do not like the plastic hulls but when it comes to a family boat I can't imagine a better boat. We use to have a Hobie 21 Sport Cruiser and just loved it as well but the set-up time was a real pain and hulls really took a beating due to the places the kids liked to sail to, rocky areas, etc. The Getaway has all the advantages of a H21SC without the hassle and in a more manageable package.

I do not own one but know the boat well and my family knows it well. We use the H16 with Trapseats. My kids have no problem it and actually, when the wind blows the kids want to stay out longer. They will yell at me to go faster, wetter, and wilder, so the H16 is a great choice. My brother just bought a TheMightyHobie18 and loves it. Both the H16 and TheMightyHobie18 are affordable and the H16 has great class racing, youth racing, etc. etc.

Don’t forget the Wave as it's a great family boat to and the kids can go out on it solo and you will have not to worry much as its an easy boats to sail. A lot less room than on a Getaway though.

Good luck.