As I see it, it is not necessary to change any of the ways that cats/multihulls are connected/associated with any of the Yachting Authorities (I use the term lightly), But to advantage all multihulls internationally, if a new association was formed that encompassed all multihull classes as a “block”, world wide, and with enough members, it would be empowered to “speak” on behalf of all it’s members WITH ONE VOICE, then it may/would have much more clout than the relatively few members that sit on the relative committees of the individual YA’s internationally, all of whom are in the minority of representation on each committee particularly when it comes to a vote on those committees, most notably in relation to mono hull interests. As a consequence mono hull interests will always override those of the multihull classes. As it stands now, it is, and has been a case of “dilute the numbers, divide on conquer” by the mono classes when it comes to any “power” that multihull representation has.
In the case of multihulls conducting international events and calling those event “World titles”, without the “permission” of the ISAF, just what is the ISAF going to do about it? Threaten to take away from any sailers competing in any event not condoned by the ISAF any chance of them competing in the Olympics? Well to me the ISAF themselves eliminated any concerns about THAT threat when they dropped the only multihull from the Olympics. What else are they going to threaten us with? – If you sail in a non sanctioned “world title” they won’t let you go to the Olympics sailing a “lead mine to China”? Big deal, that worries the hell out of me – not.
Any new International multihull association basically doesn’t have to DO anything except be THE representative of the largest number of multihull sailers in the world, and as such it’s main purpose would be to effectively apply pressure on the YA’s that has not previously been able to be brought to bear due to the “fragmentation” of the multihull community. To give this type of association real “bite” only requires that multihull sailers be members of that body. Numbers are everything when it comes to politics, and make no mistake this is political.