well - I've got experience working on a mesh trampoline now and it didn't go as well as expected. We were trying to restore the trampoline on my N6.0NA because a lot of the stitching had come loose. However, upon further investigation we found a lot of frayed areas and more cigarette burn holes than should ever be on a trampoline (previous owner) and I figured I would have to replace it soon anyway. We also discovered the limits of my friends industrial sewing machine (industrial in the fabric sense with a 1.5hp motor, slip clutch, cast iron head & housing, etc.). It was unable to penetrate the corners of the trampoline where there were more than one layer of vinyl around the mesh. It was also unable to get through double layers of edging on the pockets in the corners (where it was probably about 3/4" thick). We later found that it might have helped to spray the areas to be stitched with "Amour All" to help lubricate the needle and thread. We got the trampoline back together enough in order to sail the boat but regretfully it's time for a new one!

We did sew on a pocket at the rear of the trampoline like was seen in the other post "trampoline modifications" and that's is an AWESOME storage spot. It spanned the area between the hiking straps, forward about 24" and opened forward like Mary suggested. I also put a stitch halfway through the opening to divide the opening in two. Not only does it work great for storing stuff on the water, it makes a great pouch in which to roll up the mast rigging when the boat is on the trailer.

PS - be sure that you use a wide stitch when sewing the mesh material. On one run of the new storage pouch, we used a small straight stitch and it has torn a small hole in the mesh material.

Jake Kohl