I have lost count on the number of times I have seen someone in a race be 1 minute late for the start, get stuck in irons 3 times, flip over, miss every wind shift, sail to the wrong side of the course, and the first thing they ask when they get back in is; What mast rake is everyone using, because they just do not seem to be able to point. (I have been one of these people on occasion also, so I am guilty as well) I have talked to a number of sailing coaches about this, and everyone has said that when critiquing boat speed they are going to be commenting on things like; they were over sheeting or moving the sheet too much, or pinching, footing standing too far aft etc. If you are getting beat in 2 boat testing it is not because your diamonds were set at 39 in stead of 38.

Matt,

You are so right about this.

Here is an excellent book that covers the sailing fundamentals in a very readable format with excellent photos and diagrams.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sailing/DK-Publishing/e/9780756626266

It is a perfect read for both beginning and intermediate sailors. It also offers a very healthy overview of all the different types of boats, from dinghies to cats to keelboats. It gets into techniques as detailed at trapping and righting after a capsize. It even discusses "wild thing." I would highly recommend it for anyone getting into the sport. I have an earlier edition and like to lend it out to anyone who I'm going to take sailing.

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California