Jake,

Following Worlds last year I set about (very seriously) to attempt to build an "affordable" A-cat for production based on Cogan's latest design. After a LOT of noodling, pulling of hair, and gnashing of teeth I realized my design goals of $15k were simply not reasonable. I won't pick apart your numbers completely, but I will say that your hull numbers are a fraction of reality due to the extremely labor intensive process to get these hulls to come in at weight and still have the level of quality a buyer has a right to expect. We are still moving forward with our production plans as we do believe we have a very competitive product that still comes in at a slightly lower price point than the Euro's or Ozzies. I think your thoughts regarding cost reduction combined with some of the Bimare direction ultimately may result in some cost reduction but as Chris points out one of the big problems in this class (especially for a US based builder) are volumes....

In any event, we are moving forward with what we have been able to put together for now with a very serious eye towards trying to reduce costs in future builds assuming we can be successful getting off the ground. To that end we are very iunterested in hearing from sailors who are serious about wanting to get into the class about what sacrifices would be acceptable to get he price down. I will say that I DO NOT believe a 200lb A-cat is reasonable. I DO wonder though if a 175-180 pound boat might be, given the right price point. I think that is what Bimare is attempting.

We just got our web site up (still a work in progress), and are planning on putting out more of a splash to announce our new "EVO" A-class, but I guess now is as good a time as any to spill the beans....check us out at:

www.BlueStreakBoatWerks.com

JL N20 # 1041 "Lucille" A-cat USA 44