I don't see why the boats has to race bfore we can agree on the rules.

Absolutely. The rules can be agreed upon at any time.
This thread's decision, however, is about...

At what stage should the F12 class become self controlling with boat owners only having a vote as to rules and policy?

We are trying to figure out the best timing for this group to step out and let the boat owners (or parents) take control.

After re-thinking about it, I really don't care who is at the helm provided that the right course is kept. I feel that the priority is to steer towards the agreed goals. If we carve anything in stone, it should be the goals.

We can't predict the best moment to hand control. It could be very soon, if racing, ISAF recognition and other orgarnized activities become a priority from the begining; but it could take years, if the owners are not interested in racing or other organized class activities. It will depend on the interests and commitment of the boat owners.

If we succeed fostering the development of the class towards the agreed goals, the owners will take control when they are strong enough and want to do that, regardless our previous decisions. If we can't enforce it, why should we decide about it?

Maybe we should agree that whenever control is handed to the owners, the designers of F12s that are built until that time will become permanent members of a supervision/technical council with veto powers over decisions regarding the boat's geometry and materials. The class should have the power to add to the councill other qualified designers or builders that become relevant for the class due to their work.

This would smooth the transition process whenever it happens. It would also help maintain the course towards the agreed goals after control is handed.

In any case, the way to enforce this type of idea is to make the class official and write its by-laws or statutes. Then the question becomes: "When is the right moment to write the by-laws?" I guess it is still early. What do you all think?

Luiz