Yeah, that personal freedom stuff all sounds nice and great, until the rest of us end up holding the bag for the consequences of someone's "free choice"...in this case, the family who is left without a loved one, the cost of search and rescue (or in this case, recovery), etc.....

As to helmet laws: ever since the abandonment in Florida, there has been a 85% increase in serious head injuries....guess who pays for the lifelong institutional care required for these consequences of "free choice"?

I see this thread going off in a tangent.

Helmet laws are stupid. I am a motorcyclist, I wear a helmet 99% of the time. I don't need one when I go three blocks to the Post Office. Should I chose to not wear one and crash thats my problem.

A law requiring an adult to wear a PFD is equally stupid. I also wear a PFD more than 99% of the time. The days when the boat is more of a swimming platform than a sailboat its silly in my opinion to bother. It'd be like wearing one in the bathtub. Now when its blowing 25mph you bet your butt I'm wearing one. He chose his fate.

This mentality that we need to protect everyone is B.S. and honestly really pisses me off. Don't you realize that with every new law that is passed you are losing a right, or in some cases a whole bag of rights?

Plenty of people deserve their fates by ignoring the consequences of there actions, yet they live, and more tragically manage to further pollute our gene pool by breeding. I feel no pity, and if you don't want to pay for those injuries run around to all the assisted living buildings, (or if you prefer, "raisin ranch" and pull the plug on anyone not of retirement age. or.... kick a lawyer in the nuts and thank him for all of the lawsuits that make it possible for you to pay for some other persons inability to adequatly fall victim to Darwinism.

I'm boatless.