One thing that I discovered with the mid-boom sheeting on my a-cat is that it allows you to trap out fully extended even when sheeting hard. If you watch your crew sheet from the wire while in the middle of the boat, they have to lean way forward or go starfish to counteract the sheet forces trying to pull them back. It's also easier to maintain your footing with the main pulling you straight in on the boat.

My a-cat has both mid-boom and mid-trampoline sheeting...that is I have the option of grabbing the mainsheet at a block in the middle of the trampoline or at a block in the middle of the boom. I like the angle to the trampoline but it feels spongy...and I ask myself why have an $80 non-stretch mainsheet if you're sheeting point is the middle of the trampoline?

Even on my Paper Tiger and hiking only the mid boom angle was much better. The PT runs an alli box section fore/aft under the tramp. Almost no weight and stops "sponge". Also, sheeting direct from ratchet on boom is great as an alternative. This means the main is ALWAYS hanging in front of your face and you NEVER grab the sheet in the wrong place.
I think it is important to remember that a lot of what the tech side of sailing exhibits is fashion rather than the "last" thing...and once other parts of the formula change what was the best idea can become out dated.