Jeremy's right, both about the stoopit rumor regarding chartered boats and about the financial aftermath. In the case of the Alter Cup, the event has survived due to two things; the dedication of volunteers and the staggeringly generous support of manufacturers and dealers. The Alter Cup is NOT a money-making prospect for the industry; the sailors are the sole beneficiaries - every year, 10 new boats are pumped into the fleet at a very reasonable price. I find that the week-long shake-down by top sailors and the attendant close attention from a factory-designated representative (your friendly beach captian) delivers a boat to a new owner in race-ready condition. For many years, buyers were waiting at the top of the ramp to take possesion after the last race of the series. Things have slowed a bit in the last couple of years, which has emphasized what a fantastic investment Hobie Cat USA, Performance Catamarans, Mystere, Vectorworks Marine, and Fun in the Sun (US distributer for AHPC) have made in supporting catamaran racing in the US.

It is great to suggest that Hobie throw a double handful of boats at an event like the Alter Cup - but the math just doesn't add up. We've been lucky and fortunate in postponing the inevitable truth that the Alter Cup may have to finally change in a fundamental way that many may not like.

[/hijack]

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.