Let me open the can of worms.

My boat is a Stealth 'R'. It is not compliant with the box rules because it predates it (for example the hull length is 5.03m, 3cms longer than 5 meters). However this boat has been grandfathered as is into the F16 class, so I can sail it as a F16 with its original set of non compliant sails (sail area is similar, but the distribution is different as the jib is larger than allowed by the box rules):

5.1.2 The Foundation boats Taipan 4.9 (with F16 spi) and Stealth (R) have the special status of "Formula 16 foundation boats"; meaning that, despite the fact that they are dispensated for their non compliance, they have become part of the (closed) Formula 16 class. Their status is permanent; althought it is lost when the boat in question is no longer compliant with their confirmed (class) setup as fixed on the date 1 januari 2002.

Now, if I put a larger main (compliant with the box rule, but no longer compliant with the original class setup) the letter of the rule says this boat is a F16 no longer! This seem a little harsh as I plan to sail solo and losing 1.5m of sail area can't be good. However pushing the limit and sailing duo with a big main *and* the non-compliant jib would be cheating for sure. So I'd like clarification from the class authority. Ideally if the rule could be amended with something like:

5.1.2 [...]Changing the sails from the original class setup is authorized as long as the full set of sails is compliant with the box rules.

As far as I understand there is quite a lot of these boats around sailed with a 'big' main, and some even won previous competitions, so it should not be an issue right?