Geezus, Stephen !

Are you trying to be dumb or it that your natural state of being ?

He is a brainbreaker for you;

if a knot is sufficient for the job then what is the advantage of a splice that is "more" sufficient ?

Neither won't break and I can tie that knot in 5 seconds or less in any given line.

I would like to see any-one make a splice in a (attractively priced) two-stage dyneema line with a very tightly woven mantle and an extremely open weave core. Let alone do it under 5 seconds. The line I used was 2.5 times less expensive then spliceable dyneema lines like D12 and swiftcord; it also creeps less because the is less "setting" of the fibres under load.

With respect to stunt kite lines, any takers for splicing a multi threaded slippery line with a outer diameter of 1 mm ? Bring your magnifying glass and diamond pincers.

There are jobs that call for splices and there are jobs that call for knots. With regard to traplines either method will work satisfactory. When two methods lead to identical results in the important parameters then I choose the most inexpensive and easiest method. That was my point

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands