And I got one simple question.

Was this record confirmed on the RETURN trip within say 15 minutes ?

Otherwise I say what I always say the best potential for beating the 50 knot barrier in any other way is to find a 80+ knots hurricane, hang 15 sq. mtr cloth in the air and be dumb enough to tie yourself to it.

Sort of like a cyclist claiming to have set a new human powered speed record by "cycling" down a steep hill.

Wouter

Wouter I would agree with you there except they are saying the guy was going faster than the wind. This would suggest he was in control.

I think we have to understand that when an actual boat succeeds in beating this barrier it will mean a lot more for many reasons. These would include possible applications of the science refined back into everyday sailing. Much the same as high level racing tech goes back into everyday motoring. Where a large foiling trimaran might have had to employ new construction methods and new uses of materials etc there would be little such gains to be found in riding a flat board behind a kite.

As a rider I note that the kites and the boards on the video we all like to watch and that is doing the rounds again. With everything being equal the big tris are well faster than both boards and kites and perhaps that is the test of a record. Is it sustainable normal circumstances? Or do you have to find hallow, flat water and special wind directions etc etc.