We all know there are a lot of H16. We all know they are a great race boat for those who like a thriving competition.
I was wondering about the whole mono vs multi thing and realised that one of the big reasons I went to cat was recreational use.
It just seemed much easier to put the uninitiated on and go for a picnic on an island or laze about in the sun when the wind dropped etc.
Tomorrow I will go out for a blast on my boat. I will travel about 30/40 miles at least. I will sail to a store across the Bay and get some food as I am meeting others for a raft up and swim and lunch. I will blast about testing the new sections of my rig and I will end up at the far end of the Bay of Islands and join up with the mother ship for a sleep and return the next day, covering the same sort of miles and I just don't think I could be bothered in a Laser, Laser twin, Flying Duchman or whatever under the same circumstances.
I don't see any monos for rent on any beaches here.
Are there any stats on recreational use of sailboats to establish how popular cats are and is this race/rec use the reason for the H16 being so ubiquitous?