From I have gethered it is not so much bow volume that is sought but rather a high freeboard and a good clearance of beams above the waterline/wavetops.

Especially a tall freeboard seems to work more then expected.

On the downwind the desire to keep the bows out is still present but there are other ways in achieving this, for example T-foil rudders. So in my opinion you can still fully optimize the F16 hulls for low drag if you accept fitting the boat with T-foil rudders.

The usefulness of transferring A-cat characteristics to F16's and F18's has long been put in doubt. The designs are simply too different for such a thing to be of much value. I also believe that the very high length to width or weight ratio of the A's offset the results achieved in that class. Basically their hulls are too long for what they really need to withstand the rig forces. F18's and F16's are at the other end of teh spectrum, never enough hull length when going full power downwind under spinnaker. Where the F16 has the added drawback of being very quick in its movements (nervous feel) giving the crew less time or margin in which to respond.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands