I have never been sure how wetsuits work -- and I sometimes wonder whether they really DO work -- as far as keeping you warm.

I know that wetsuits work when you are actually in the water -- something about them trapping a layer of water between the rubber and your skin and your body heat warming that water and helping to keep you warm?

But once you are wet and are out of the water, when the wind is blowing on you and evaporating the water, it makes you very cold; doesn't it?

I know that when I wear my wetsuit when it is very hot outside, it makes me sweat, and that makes me cold.

Is a wetsuit supposed to be a little bit loose on you so you can get some water inside it next to your skin? Or is it supposed to fit like pantyhose?

How much difference does the thickness of the neoprene make as far as warmth? And what is the trade-off as far as your flexibility being limited when you have a thick wetsuit?

And, as far as warmth and comfort and durability for sailing, what are the differences between an all-rubber wetsuit, a wetsuit with cloth on the outside, and a wetsuit with cloth on both outside and inside?

These are all things I have never thought much about before.

It used to be that you would go into a Hobie dealership and try on a wetsuit, and if you could get it on and bend over and touch your toes without being launched into a backflip, you bought it.

But I suppose wetsuits and wetsuit materials are getting more advanced now, just like everything else involving sailing.