Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen
Jake,
what did raking the rig back do for helm balance? I am subscribing more to the thought of finding a good setting and depowering with downhaul. What is your opinion?

Funny you should ask - it actually balanced out my helm a little more when I raked back more. I suspect my rudders are raked a little forward of the center of pivot. With the rake measurement taken from the forestay to directly over the rear access port I had a lot of weather helm making it a real beast sailing downwind in any kind of air. I would really struggle to keep it under control while making an adjustment or two because it wanted to round up so quickly. Upwind in 12 to 18 knots, the groove was very difficult to find and the boat felt like it couldn't get out of it's own way in puffs. No matter what I would do, I couldn't get the bow down under pressure. In light air, however, the boat as setup was a rocket.

I then raked it back to the position between the port cover and the handling in big air became dramatically better. I was shocked, actually, at how much better it had become. The constant struggle to keep the bow down and the boat charging when puffs hit was gone and it was a matter of making the minor trim adjustment to handle the extra pressure. What also surprised me was that the weather helm also became less dramatic...leading me to believe that the rudders are raked a little too far forward. I've got a new Ashby sail coming so I'm not planning to do any more tuning until then.

Jake Kohl