Originally Posted by Tikipete
What's the best way to adjust mast rotation, mechanically and subjectively?

How do you go about "changing gears"? At Tradewinds, the wind was strong for a while and then dropped off. Some crews had difficulty adjusting their boats and their skill sets.

Holy crap was I frustrated on Saturday. We had max rake setup for the heavy stuff and bam...light and fluky in the middle. I was surprised that our boat speed wasn't too bad off considering - but it we definitely had a slight disadvantage upwind. . We stood the rig way up on Sunday and felt like we had really good speed.

This was also the very first time Frank and I sailed anything but a distance race together and our timing / execution in the bigger air on Sunday was a little ruff around the edges...it didn't help that I ran over a finish line mark and had to do a turn and refinish. Frank's a rockstar and if we polish up a little of our communication and execution we'll be in really good shape around the cans.

Changing gears was the tough part...for me coming from 5 days of a-cat sailing to the 20 was really interesting. The helm on the 20 felt stupid twitchy (I sail an older a-cat though) and the boat really felt numb. I feel like it did give me a little more intuition upwind though. Changing gears related more to angles downwind and a couple of minor sail tweaks. I had to really watch the upper tales on the main cause I kept finding myself oversheeting.

Jake Kohl