The patriarch of the Korz clan passed away peacefully this morning.

Tom sent out the following on Saturday:
Many of you were friends and competitors with my father Stan Korzeniewski. It is with great sadness that I share with you the news that early Saturday Morning 2/28/09 he suffered a devastating brain hemorrhage and is now in Crouse Irving Hospital in Syracuse, NY. I know he would want me to pass on this news to you, many of with who have shared the race course, the beach and an “occasional” beer with Stan. His condition is terminal and inoperable, but his doctors assure us that he is in no pain. His body is strong an an ox but one side of his brain has lost all function and the other is slowly deteriorating.
He started sailing in Australia in WWII and bought his first Hobie Cat in 1975. He sailed and attended many regattas, Local, National and Worlds. He never needed a trophy to validate his love for his sailing (though he has many), Stan would always hit the beach with a huge smile and be the first one over to help the next team pull their boat up the beach. Our dad sailed his last NA’s in 1998. He has shown up at The Madcatter almost every year (which usually falls on his Birthday) Please remember fondly one of the truly GREAT sportsmen, one of the founding members of Hobie Fleet 204, mentor to many fine young sailors who is on his last reach into the sunset. There is much more that I could say, but I still need more time to take it all in.
Please pass this on for me, as there are many that have met and been enriched by Stanley Korzeniewski. If you have any stories you would like to share, please by all means do so though this address.
Point High & Foot Fast

Tom, Susan & Erika Korz
Mimi, Dave,Marie & Katie Appel
Jean and Tom Arnault
Jim and Adam Korz
Anne & Dick Anderson
Bob & Steph & Teagan O’connor
Amy O’connor & Jason Pinter
Agnes Korzeniewski

I only met Stan on a few occasions, but I felt I had known him for years and years. He will be truly missed.

Visitation for Stan will be at the Hollis Funeral Home in Syracuse NY, 3 - 7 PM Thursday, March 5.

A piece of Hobie legend - The origin of Hobie Fleet 204 was Stan & Anges' house address - 204 Avery Dr., Syracuse, NY 13204

You can post comments on the Fleet 204um here: Hobie Fleet 204um