Originally Posted by Timbo
Well we could always change the rules, just like the Moths did. But I am not in favor of that as it would start an expensive arms race that would only make the F16 class less attractive to any new members, I think.

What if you put two boards in each hull, both canted inward at what ever angle works best, so they form a lifting V type setup, front and rear, and maybe even add the T foils to the rudders, I wonder if all of that would be enough lift to get the F16 solo up out of the water.

AS you say, class rules would need to change, currently only one pair of plates on the platform; so one per hill (or two in one hull):

[i]1.6 Daggerboards and rudders

1.6.1 The platform shall be equipped with a pair of rudders.

1.6.2 In addition to the rudders, the platform may also be equipped with a pair of daggerboards or centerboards.[/i]

Originally Posted by Timbo
Doing the boards would be the easiest, cheapest mod, then adding the T foil lifting rudders, but all of it could be done without the adjustable flaps they use on the Moth, and you could still pull them all up when you approach the beach. I am not a fan of the T foils on a cat, since we already have the width for stability, I think the V would work better.

I am also trying to figure a way we could tilt our masts to windward as they do on the Moth (with heal), we might be able to do it with dyneema shrouds that go from the tang, down through a block, across the tramp (under it?), through another block and back up to the mast. Just need to figure out how to adjust it and keep it from slipping!

Tilting the rig is not too difficult. All you need to do is have multi purchase on each shroud base with stoppers to prevent the rig going over the side. Been done on a few boats overhere, catapault being one.

Last edited by scooby_simon; 03/30/09 08:53 AM.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here