Man oh man...it killed me to make remarks about spinnaker trim during the week (I did anyway though crazy). Frank was an animal trimming that kite and his hands looked like balloons after only the third day. That super tight spin reaching in 12 knots is crazy tight on the sheet!

While sailing into Fernandina (next to the last day), we were closely passed by Trey and Alan and I noticed they had a doubler on the spin sheet. I noted it and told Frank I would hook him up tonight. After dinner, I collected the parts I needed, put on a new spin sheet, and hooked up the doubler system and went to bed. I gave a brief "how to" instruction to Frank that morning and we pushed through the surf. The kite went up and Frank hooked in the doubler before coming up to the high side. He made a light comment about how nice it was but I was a little surprised that his reaction wasn't more dramatic - Afterall, I was pretty proud of what I rigged up in about 20 minutes in the dark the night before. About 15 to 30 minutes later I asked him "so, is that doubler great or what?". A moment or two of silence followed before he responded in his attorney voice; "so....tell me Jake....how long have you known about this system?". I laughed so hard I nearly fell off the boat.

But seriously - It didn't come to mind until I saw Trey's!

Jake Kohl