I will probably get flamed for this, but I have to try and explain what I feel about this situation.
I am very surprised to hear about people spitting at others on the street.
I am not surprised that ordinary French people are anoyed at the personal way Americans have reacted to a political decision by the French Government. (I will not get into a discussion on the rights or wrongs of the Iraq war.)
If any two countries have had disagreements over hundreds of years it is Ireland and England, we still do not agree politically about who should govern Northern Ireland. That's politics, but, we visit each other's countries, we have good friends, we attend each other's sailing events (when ferry prices allow), we do not boycott each other's products etc. The UK is an ally of the US in this war, but the British and the French are still visiting each other's countries, they are not attacking each other on the streets (unless there is a football match), or insulting each other. My son was racing at Carnac recently, there were 2 Irish Spitfires. The rest of the Spitfire fleet was a mix of French and British sailors - everyone got on well, no agression.
Why do Americans take it personally when anybody disagrees with them. They talk about people having freedom to make decisions. But then agresivly attack anyone who disagrees with them. I have seen it so many times on the old forum and now it is appearing on this one, with, what could be called, racist generalisations like the following: "Yeah, that is just like the big, brave french, to spit on a woman walking down the street."
People in Europe are talking about McCarthyism again rearing its ugly head. We hear about "Freedom Fries", "Boycott French Products" and "We should invade France next" etc.
Now, Americans are surprised at Europe's reaction. I can only say America has asked for the reaction it is getting.
The people on this forum have always been very helpful to any sailors who have problems, no matter where they are from - lets keep it this way.

PS I am just watching, on television, a French rescue team risking their lives trying to get a child from the rubble of the Algerian earthquake.

Dermot
Catapult 265