I guess I'm still looking for something that will be fun for me, fun for my kids, easy to get in the water, light, and with the potential of real speed, and more technical sailing (as well as very easy and mindless sailing). Something that I can sail solo easily, sail with my wife and load maybe four or five people on it at times. Its hard to know what will be the best. The H16 is probably a good choice, although I don't love the boat.

I think your criteria go againt the H16 and are noticeably in favor of the Nacra 5.0 (nacra 500) or the Nacra 4.5 (Nacra 450). There is actually not much difference between the nacra 5.0 and nacra 4.5. That is why I never recommend the 4.5 as the 5.0 has basically the same specs but is 2 ft larger which is just better in several respects. However, if you can get a good deal on a 4.5 then yeah it will be a good option. As good as the Nacra 5.0 anyway.

Honestly I don't think the H16 can be placed in the category "more technical sailing", "sail solo easily" or "load up with 4 to 5 people. The rig of the H16 is contra technical and it wants a jib fitted to have the "right balance" and hold the mast up while the nacra's can be sailed with just the mainsail. Additionally, loading up the H16 platform makes it tippy, famous is the H16 back flip where your passenger get a little frightened during a tack and creep up on you moving the back of the H16 and then the very small sterns sink away and you do a backwards titanic. Where you go straight down. The nbacras have much more volume here and won't do that on you. I know as I've done both when I was still a cat sailing instructor.

Beyond that; you are aware that 11 AHPC Viper F16's are for sale at reduced prices after the Alter Cup 2009 in november right ? And chance are the will all be pre-sold before this event takes place. This may be a great opportunity to get an good as new F16 for the best price in the coming years. They certainly won't be dirt cheap but are expected to be well priced nevertheless.

Wouter

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands