Gato, thanks for your comment. Yes you are sort of right: "(too !) strong never fails".
But this the oldest and still never solved dilemma for sea sailors. Look at the material problems of the last Vendee Globe or the still going Volvo Ocean race.
I have build already 30 years my windsurf boards and there every ounce of weight counts, so I'm used to compare my boards with that of my friends who for instance used one layer fiberglass less.

For me, after spending so much time at windy seas the last 30 years, sailing still means first the material and then the sailing itself.
I have encountered in the past some serious problems at sea, alone, and afterwards when you are playing the movie back sitting safe in your chair, you always think what can I do that this will never happen again. Moreover I'm 63 year and my strength is decreasing rapidly, so I cannot survive the conditions that I was used to in the past.

Hence my strive for strength in my boat, while of course never forgetting the weight.
I couldn't do it less, even if I wanted it.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.